TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I broke in with Rotella T6 5w-40, then switched to RP 10w30
People Seeking Info

Subject I broke in with Rotella T6 5w-40, then switched to RP 10w30

Posted by flashstar on June 21, 2015 at 4:31 PM
  This message has been viewed 265 times.

In Reply To Tough one. I would start by disassembling the lifters that posted by Tanley on June 20, 2015 at 05:38 PM

Message I was running the JWT mild camshafts. I broke one of the squishy ones down and only noticed one small particle. The only unusual thing is a bit of excess scoring on the outer edge of the lifter. My OEM lifters also had this scoring but have seen much more use.

I still haven't been able to disassemble one of my old OEM lifters. The others were tossed by the shop unfortunately. This old OEM lifter is very difficult to disassemble. It apparently has a much tighter tolerance on the outside of the plunger. I'm not sure if that's related to varnish build-up though.

I'll have to get better tools to measure the lifters. I think Whteldy was referring to the height of the internal plunger as a result of the internal spring.

I appreciate the links! I've just ordered a full set of OEM lifters. I'll try to get that OEM lifter taken apart in the meantime. I'm leaning towards just reassembling with OEM lifters. If they start clacking and knocking, I'll know for sure that something else is off (probably an oiling problem from what I've heard). Then, I'll cut the engine immediately.

Thanks again

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.